The UWC Library's Online Publishing Support Service is pat of the Research Support & Client Services section in the library. This service assists researchers with any publishing related queries. These guides list tools to help authors find and identify appropriate journals for publication purposes. Training sessions help authors understand Open Access, journal selection tools and identify predatory journals and conferences.
Some tips for choosing the right journal:
- Your literature review will contain journals in your field that have provided you with quality resources;
- Consult your supervisors, peers and colleagues to obtain a list of journal they have used;
- Does the aim and scope of the journal match your article content?
- Has the journal published articles similar to your article?
- Does the journal have any restrictions?
- User the library provided services as well as online services such as Journal Finder (see right panel);
- Consult your librarian.
What is a journal Impact factor?
Impact factors are one indicator of journal quality. They are calculated by determining the number of times published articles have been cited in the preceding two years. The higher the impact factor, the more articles have been cited. The impact factor, however, should not be used exclusively to establish journal quality. Informed peer-review should also be considered.
Journal of Entrepreneurial Innovations
Kronos: Southern African histories (DHET Accredited)
Journal of Vocational, Adult and Continuing Education and Training - JOVACET (DHET Accredited)
African Human Mobility Review - AHMR (DHET Accredited)
African Journal of Gender and Religion - AJGR (DHET Accredited)
WritingThreeSixty: Journal of Research and Creative Texts
Critical Studies in Teaching and Learning (DHET Accredited)
Journal Impact Factor: Its Use, Significance and Limitations
The Clarivate Analytics Impact Factor
Directory of Open Access Journals
Scientific Journal Rankings (SJR)
Journal / Author Name Estimator
How to select academic journals for publishing
Choosing the right journal for your manuscript
Choosing the right journal for your research
Report on grouped peer review of scholarly journals in education
Sherpa Romeo - Journal Policies
On publishing research data (2017)
University of the Western Cape,
Robert Sobukwe Road,
Tel: 021 959 2946